Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: RE: DSII for moderns?

Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

From: Edward Lipsett <translation@i...>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 15:31:43 +0900
Subject: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

Just a quick suggestion that may help stimulate someone's thought
processes in a different direction.

Years ago I was playing Mekton, and when they design vehicles you just
go ahead and buy whatever you want, with each item adding to cost,
size and weight. If something is too big to fit, you can pay more to
reduce it by some percentage - the more you reduce it, the more it
costs. This was justified by saying the reduction actually represented
a higher technology level.

A similar approach might work here: Buy what you want for your
vehicle, with everything adding a fixed sensor value. Add them all
together to find out how easy the vehicle is to detect. If you want to
improve, you can pay more (inverse proportional scale, ceiling fixed
by game master) to make it harder to detect.

K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:

> But my argument is that, to calculate a balanced points cost that
includes
> target signature, you have to take into account the vehicles' size and
> equipment. The more equipment, the more expensive going down to a
given
> signature should be. So something roughly similar to the present
capacity
> calculation is needed - perhaps in a simplified fashion. I see no way
around
> including such a calculation. Or do you ?

=====
Edward Lipsett
Intercom, Ltd.
Fukuoka, Japan
translation@intercomltd.com
http://www.intercomltd.com
Tel: +81-92-712-9120
Fax: +81-92-712-9220

Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: RE: DSII for moderns?