Prev: [fiction - news report] PAU frees hostages; rebel leader escapes Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:12:58 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

At 1:58 PM -0800 4/4/02, Brian Bilderback wrote:

>Lower signature should cost more than higher signature, yes.
>Regardless of whether that is accomplished by being small or using
>stealth methods.  Put a bright pink bycicle in the middle of a
>freshly tilled field of brown earth.  put an M1 Abrams, well camo'd,
>in the woods a hundred yards to the right.  which is harder to hit
>using the old Mk. 1 eyeball?

Well, a basic jeep chassis shouldn't cost more than a basic tank
chassis 5 times larger. The Pink Bicycle vs the camo'd tank is
spurious.

In addition to the whole signature thing is the difficulty in hiding
it in the first place. I can lay the pink bicycle down in the grass
and you won't see it 50 feet away let alone across the field. That
tank, isn't going to be put into a little tuft of grass and be
invisible.

Further, the tank is closer to the broad side of a barn than that
bicycle is.

>Except that the capacity/points combo is just too cumbersome.	It's
>the end result that matters - if taking a big vehicle and giving it
>enough stealth results in the same combat effectiveness as taking a
>small vehicle and miniaturizing it, then their end point cost should
>be the same.  So why not eliminate the size/stealth/capacity step
>and JUST deal with how many points such a vehicle should cost?

If I make a battle ship have the same signature as a pt boat it
should cost the same? I don't think so. That BB has far more combat
capability being carried around than that MTB.

A stealthed size 5 tank should cost far more than a size 1 personal
vehicle. A stealthed size 2 vehicle should cost a good deal more than
that size 1 vehicle.

Furthermore, that size/stealth/capacity step allows for a good means
of describing the vehicle.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: [fiction - news report] PAU frees hostages; rebel leader escapes Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)