Prev: Re: [DSII] Heresey Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

DS3 features

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:00:58 -0500
Subject: DS3 features

Brian said:

I want some visual clue as to how powerful a vehicle is when I see it
across the table.

"Oh. Here comes a little jeep with what looks like a machine gun, but
over there are 5 Ogre Mk. IIIs. I will concentrate my fire on the Ogres.
Boy! Those Ogres popped quickly. OK your turn... What do you mean that
machine gun fires nuclear shells at a range of 60"?!?!?! OK <grumble>
page 47..."

Yes, pure munchkinism, but in a system without limits possible.

When you mix miniature ranges, and each player bringing his predefined
forces, you can face a lot of this type of situation (although not
usually as extreme as above), where a smaller, less menacing model (GHQ
Abrams) is more powerful than a larger one (Ral Partha Battletech PPC
Carrier).

I am not complety arguing against you. You should be able to match the
model to its capabilities. But 2 people looking at the same model might
see widely varying capabilities (is that a PDS or GMS?).

[Tomb]

Note 1: I mostly agree.

Note 2: This vulnerability has nothing to do (well, not much) with
rules. I can do that now - there is no direct relationship between mini
and ruleset in DS2. I can say my scotia iltis is size class 5. What's to
stop me? Answer: Agreement between players on what constitutes a size
class. Not the rules!

Note 3: If the other player paid X (large number) points for his little
nuclear jeep, in theory you should have a lot of stuff on your side that
is non-munchkin-like to fight him with.

If so, where is the unfairness? If you're both keeping your designs
secret (mostly bunk in my opinion), then you can do just the same to
him. But that exists now... you could come to the battlefield with a
pile of heavily armed VTOLs and he could arrive with the GMS jeep army!
That's the silliness of secret force battles with munchkins.

In reality, you generally have some idea of enemy capabilities (their
existing designs). True, you could be unlucky enough to be at the first
battle for which a new technology is debuted, but if that is the case,
you should be getting onto your intel people about their poor
prepration!

So, I would address this issue by making most designs public (Jane's
2183) but not telling which ones I plan to bring. Also, realistically,
you'd have some clue of typical organizational structures of your
opponent. Either that or you've got a larger problem than a weak point
system....

Prev: Re: [DSII] Heresey Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)