Prev: Re: VEHICLE SPEED AND MANUEVERABILITY Next: RE: Boone's Company

Re: Reading Request.

From: Robert Crawford <crawford@k...>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 12:33:09 -0500
Subject: Re: Reading Request.

John Lambshead wrote:
> I tried reading a Clancy Novel once. After three pages debvoted to the

> loving description of the design of a spark plug I gave up. I picked
up
> a Clancy future war set of short stories in Jamiaca (not on sale in
> Britain). They claimed to show future war. China attacks the USA - how

> you ask, by exploiting its massive infantry advantage in a battle in
> natural infantry terrain. Nope - by building ultra high tech space
> warfare devices which are countered by a battle station designed by an

> individual using "off the shelf systems". yep, get your anti-ballistic

> missile laser systems from Tandy. To be fair it was a good fun SF
story
> but the premise as a real scenario - hmm...

The series isn't from Clancy, and that novella was written by Larry
Bond. The US response to the Chinese ASAT was to speed up the
construction of a system already being built, and to integrate into it
other systems that were also under development. None of the equipment
was "off the shelf".

Ah, here it is: "Stephen Coonts' Combat #1"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812576152/qid%3D1012540000/sr%3D
1-2/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F74%5F2/103-6963045-1144614

Prev: Re: VEHICLE SPEED AND MANUEVERABILITY Next: RE: Boone's Company