Prev: DS3 points systems and features Next: Re: [DSII] Heresy

Re: [DSII] Heresey

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 12:24:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [DSII] Heresey

At 9:24 AM -0500 4/4/02, John Crimmins wrote:
[snip]
>It seems that DSII is missing this factor; it's very easy to see
>(and design) the ideal tank.  Given two grav tanks of similar size
>with turreted weapons,
>designed by two different people, how different are the end results
>going to be?
>
>If they are designing in a vacuum (no scenario or background
>restrictions to worry about) you are likely to have a pair of almost
>identical vehicles:
>assuming Size Class III, each will have an MDC(4), Superior Firecon,
>class 3 armor, the best ECM available...and if points are not a
>problem, two levels
>of stealth.
>
>There are a number of minor differences that are possible --
>ablative or reactive armor, APFCs, and so on -- but nothing that's
>likely to have much game
>effect.

Look at the current trend in tanks. They all fall in the same
category. There is pretty much one way to make a tank. All of the
side routes from WWII pretty much fell by the wayside. Biggest main
gun you can carry ammo for and still have a reasonable load out. As
much armor as you can put up front and on the sides. A crew of 4
(usually) and extra MGs. Everything else is icing.

>Doing my own designs, and self-limiting myself to Enhanced Firecons
>for most vehicles (Basic is for low -tech, Superior for ultra-tech),
>I found that there
>was a depressing sameness to the results.  Going from a WYSIWYG
>standpoint, there's not all that much that the system can do to
>differentiate
>between a pair of tracked Class III tanks of similar tech level.

Land warfare has a number of roles that are specific to their nature.
A Tank has a big gun in a turret and lots of armor. Anything with a
big gun and not a lot of armor is a tank destroyer, an armored car,
or an assault gun depending on what it can do. It can try to be a
tank, but it will have problems.

>Solution?  Beats me.  I'd like to see something like the FT building
>system, or even (bear with me for a moment here) classic Car Wars.
>Given $15,000
>to spend, you could end up with a ton of different vehicles, all of
>them of similar combat potential.  Maybe I need more experience with
>the system, but it
>seems to me that DSII can't do the same right now.

Thats because Car wars was super un-realistic in how it works. You
can't fire a RR from within a car. You can't drive a car and operate
multiple weapons by your self.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: DS3 points systems and features Next: Re: [DSII] Heresy