Prev: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: RE: FMA Hockey etc. was Re: One More Oxymoron

Re: FT detachable base construction/installation

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 22:45:24 -0500
Subject: Re: FT detachable base construction/installation

At 01:54 AM 4/3/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Made my first tubular brass base for FT
>(SemFed BB from Brigade.... love that model
>Tony!).
>
>Problems:
>1) Squaring a hole in the bottom of the BB -
>most files wouldn't work (not enough travel)
>and the dremel likes to make rounded corners.
>Suggestions? One idea is filling excess
>(assuming round-ish hole) with Plastic Metal or
>some such compound for filler.

*shudder*  I wouldn't recommend it, but I'd guess that wood carving
techniques would come in handy here...
Round hole, of roughly the diameter that the sides of the square will
be...  Then gentle and precise use of very small, fine chisels would
work.

Otherwise...  Well, heat/flash melting would work, but be very very
ugly.  Not to mention dangerous, more work than its worth, etc.

Those are all that come to mind off hand.  But, knowing the creative
tool
types I hang out with, someone's bound to know how, if it's possible
given
the circumstances.

Now...	Would someone explain how Brass tubing makes a detachable base?

Around here, I saw someone who uses screw-barrel[1] jewelry connectors
quick attach/detach bases and ships.  Works marvelously.

[1] Don't know thier actual name, but they look like a barrel when
together.  They split in half, around the middle of the curve section of

the barrel, with a threaded and corresponding screw ends.  They're used
in
inexpensive jewel (re- bead or woven thread type jewelry) and I've seen
them at hobby stores[2].
[2] For those of you not blessed (or is that blessed) by having "hobby"
stores, or those of you like me who were self-centered enough to think
that
a hobby store would certainly carry your hobby supplies...  There are
chains of stores that sell all kinds of stuff that are considered
"traditional" hobby supplies, but you'll almost never find role-playing
stuff, games, or mini's (unless it's doll-house mini's) there [3].
[3]  However, if you have even the smallest amount of imagination,
scratch
build materials, terrain materials, etc. can be found in abundance
there.

Prev: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: RE: FMA Hockey etc. was Re: One More Oxymoron