Prev: Re: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire Next: Re: [DS] Points system

Re: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@t...>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 19:09:07 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 03:39:18PM -0800, Brian Bilderback wrote:
> DS II already does this (kinda), with a second die.  But a second die
does
> not increase your highest possible result, which a die value increase
DOES
> do.  I think I like Mr. Martin's suggestion better.

No, it doesn't increase the highest possible result, but it does
decrease the chance of the /lowest/ possible result significantly, and
since the only question is whether or not you beat the opposing roll,
the stats actually work out much more smoothly.  If you're rolling
d12,d4 and your opponant is d4, you are roughly twice as likely to
succeed as you would have been without the Bonus.  If he is d6,
roughly 1+2/3 as likely, etc.

Since the actual value on the die is not significant, I don't actually
see why whether or not it increases is really much of an issue in this
situation.  (In fact, in Ironclaw/Jadeclaw, there /is/ a meaning to
the actual value, at least in terms of difference; if the difference
between values is => 5, the roll is an Overwhelm, and thus gets some
special advantage; due to the nature of the rolling system, you can't
Overwhelm if the only die you're rolling is a d4 ... which, neatly
enough, makes sense.)

--
Alexander Williams (thantos@telocity.com)   |	 http://www.chancel.org

====
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably
the  |
same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it
is|
their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to
provide|

Prev: Re: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire Next: Re: [DS] Points system