Prev: Re: Putting the Moron back in Oxymoron Next: Re: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire

RE: [DS] Points system

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 15:48:39 -0800
Subject: RE: [DS] Points system

Ryan M Gill  wrote:

>>carrying was the one area in which weight/capacity would still
>>matter (OK, and bridges). THAT capacity should reflect both volume
>>and mass, especially mass.
>
>Granted. I've just wrestled with it when trying to figure out how
>much an NAC Assault ship could carry.

Again, I suggest that each vehicle be given a number of cargo "slots"
required to carry it's mass.  Then you just use this number to modify
it's
overall cost (A bulky vehicle should be cheaper than one that takes up
less
space, at least in any scenario that requires it's delivery via another
unit).

>>Yes, it should, you are correct.  But if the new engine increases
>>the power enough to increase the speed, the desired effect is
>>reached.  That engine should thus cost more.	But if we merely
>>eliminate the middle man and calxulate how much the POINTS cost
>>should be for a vehicle of given armor to go a given speed, we have
>>all the information we need _*in game terms*_.
>
>Granted. I'm just wanting to put the cost at the end and include the
>weight calculation in there as well.

If you want to, go for it.  But barring transport considerations, it
shouldn't weigh in on the cost of the vehicle.

>>No.  Dollars etc. reflect how much it costs IN REAL LIFE.  Points
>>reflects it's effectiveness in game play.  Totally separate issues.
>
>But easily extrapolated. You could include a tech/economy factor for
>each race/nation. x.8 for NAC, x1.2 for ESU, x1 for NSL, x2 for IF,
>etc.

Granted back atcha.  conversion system may vary per setting.

>Ahh, but this deviates significantly from the old system.

IF it needs it,.....

I'm trying
>to make a slight change without really making a new system that bears
>a resemblance to the system used to make Mechs in Battletech.

Actually a pure points system would be diametrically opposite the
Battletech
system, which never got it's "Optional" points sytem down right.
Everything
was all about weight/critical spaces.  Thus you could have a regular
mech
like the Marauder, and a clan Madcat, same weight, but the madcat,
unless
piloted by Pauly Shore, will had the MAD-5 it's arse 9 out of 10.  The
lack
of a balanced point system was one of the reasons I fled Fasaland.

>Yeah, but that blessing has to cost extra.

Only if it'll help you extra. ;-)

3B^2

Prev: Re: Putting the Moron back in Oxymoron Next: Re: [DS] Hidden units and detection, including Recon by Fire