Prev: Re: SGII -- Scenario with alien creatures Next: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)

DS2 models of Re: [sg] Scenario with alien plants

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:00:30 EST
Subject: DS2 models of Re: [sg] Scenario with alien plants

This is strictly on the fly and has not been thought out.

Yeah, yeah, what's new.

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:28:35 -0500  "Bell, Brian K (Contractor)"
<Brian.Bell@dscc.dla.mil> writes:
<snip>
>Tar-Baby Plant:
>The Tar-Baby Plant exudes a sticky sap that serves two purposes. First
>it
>sticks to large animals which subsequently pollinate other Tar-Baby
>Plants.
>Second, it traps insects, avians, and other small animals which it
>digests
>to supplement the nutrients from the soil. Game Effect: Soldiers
>moving into
>contact with Tar-Baby Plant is given a suppression marker.

Once vehicles have passed through - assuming the tar is 'squished' out
of
the plant, HMW vehicles suffer movement penalty (one class worse) and
LMW
suffer the penalty even if other vehicles have not crushed the plants.
Probably too restrictive but depends on PSB behind plant...

>Scare-Me-Nots:
>The Scare-Me-Not trees are very delicate. They extend long wispy
>strands
>into the atmosphere to harvest the multitude of gnats and bacteria
>prevelent
>in the planet's atmosphere. However, these strands are a favorite of
>the
>local fauna. To protect themselves, the Scare-Me-Not trees pull in
>these
>strands whenever it senses movement. Game Effect: When a soldier moves
>within 2" of a Scar-Me-Not tree replace the tree with a few small
>sticks (as
>it pulls in its foliage). The sticks provide no cover. This also gives
>away
>the possition of the soldier.

This works for Dirtside as is (one turn?)

>Herd Bushes:
>The Herd Bushes move arround an area searching for nutrients and
>insect
>nests. They tend to break up the ground which provides areas for other
>plants to exploit. This effect is very slow, but noticable over a
>period of
>days. Game Effect: The Herd Bushes do not move fast enough to be
>modeled in
>a game. However, they do move enough that paths are almost impossible
>keep clear, so satelite photos of an area are often incorrect (the
>photo
>shows a clearing, but it is choked with bushes.) Often runways and
>other
>"improved areas" fall to the Herd Bushes.

Fine as is.

>Nervous Nettle:
>This bush has two defenses. First, it is full of sharp nettles.
>Animals
>often look for easier food. Second, emits a pheromone that causes
>uneasyness
>in most warmblooded creatures (including humans). Game Effect: A unit
>with a
>soldier within 2" of a Nervous Nettle plant, will panic if it fails
>any
>morale or confidence test. The unit may test again on subsequent
>activations
>(out of the effect of the NN plant) at TL:0, and if it passes regains
>the
>confidence level it had before testing under the influence of the NN.

No problem for sealed vehicles, open topped and dismounts obviously are
at some level of risk...

>Chromoplant:
>This plant has the strange behavior of changing its color when
>touched. It
>is thought that this is a byproduct of a chemical change the plant
>produces
>to make it taste bad to animals. Game Effect: When a soldier comes
>into
>contact with a Chromoplant, replace it with a plant of another color.
>Opponents observing, should notice the change in color. This is bad
>for
>snipers trying to use hidden movement.

Fine as is.  "Hidden" units might be at risk of prematurely moving if
H&I
fire used or alert player might actually risk an arty marker on the site
- GM should arrange for some chance of change occurring (local
herbivores, etc.) naturally.

>Kindling Grass:
>This grass grows, and produces a seed pod. It then dries itself out
>(dieing
>in the process), but leaving a very flammable chemical on the surface
>of the
>plant. The grass catches fire eaisly (heat from the sun, lightning,
>etc.).
>The heat of the fire ignites chemicals in the seed pod shooting the
>seeds
>high into the air to be deposited by winds upto miles away. Game
>Effect.
>Almost any fire action (shooting, artillery, etc.) will set the grass
>alight. Soldiers, vehicles with Chemical Fueled Engines (CFEs), ammo
>caches,
>etc. may be effected by the fires (use rules on p. 57 of Stargrunt).

Smoke created by fire?

>Beth and others probably have some additional ideas.

I expect so.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: SGII -- Scenario with alien creatures Next: Re: Rules of Engagement examples (DSII/SGII)