Prev: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY-Conversion of NAC w/berets to ball caps Next: Re: [DS] Points system was [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

Figure bases, Deimos, ROE

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 11:42:32 -0500
Subject: Figure bases, Deimos, ROE

Figure Bases:

Karl, I've started on square bases, but I will try my next one with
round rod and an offset cut. My worry is this: Cutting perpendicular on
the square brass rod with some sanding/filing isn't hard. Cutting a
regular 45 in the round brass with a freehand dremel might be. I think
I'd need a jig and saw otherwise the bases wouldn't be
interchangeable.... (angles would differ on the angle cut)

Also, Roger mentioned pewter bases for GZG ships. I'm sure I asked Jon T
about these and was told only KR makes them (which seemed odd to me at
the time). UK GZG ship buyers, does Jon have a metallic base? Or are
they all plastic?

Deimos:
Thanks Brian. Obviously the PDS/LAD goes off to the side... even though
that appears to cover up some nice detail and the rear of the turret
looks like a better spot. I'm going to make this big GEV a NAC MBT...
now I need an unused C-name. Suggestions? My two best so far are
Claymore and Cavalier.

ROE:

I had a friend (now off to Space Command or some such thing) who just
finished a stint at CF Peace Support Training Center. They train
peacekeepers from around the world. These skills are _very_ different
than warfighting and the ROEs are very different. Escalation is not
allowed on most UN missions. Where you can return fire, you generally
are compelled to use the same level of force (small arms -> small arms,
etc). (Me, I believe in the 10:1 rule, but I'm not a peacekeeper).

Some of you listers may know Los (Carlos Lourenco). Carlos related to me
how he was up training some cops in rural tactics, and one of the big
differences is that you often don't get a clear view of your target (due
to distance and foliage). He said at the beginning of the day, ambushed
cops wouldn't even fire because the training to not shoot unless you
could verify your target and knew what was behind it was getting them
killed. It took a long time for them to be able to learn military style
anti-ambush drill and to fire suppressively. (This kind of tactic might
be necessary when hunting down heavily armed militia nutbars who
disappear into the woods, forex).

So ROE and the training of troops for the task they are performing can
make a big change in a scenario. Poorly trained (for OOTW ops) soldiers
(and bloody-minded gamers) tend to shoot anything that even looks
suspicious in a peacekeeping/OOTW scenario. Peacekeepers and Cops tend
to not do so well when put into a shooting war. Those who (in either