Prev: Diemos GEV tank construction Next: ROE & MPs

FT detachable base construction/installation

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 01:54:37 -0500
Subject: FT detachable base construction/installation

Made my first tubular brass base for FT
(SemFed BB from Brigade.... love that model
Tony!).

Problems:
1) Squaring a hole in the bottom of the BB -
most files wouldn't work (not enough travel)
and the dremel likes to make rounded corners.
Suggestions? One idea is filling excess
(assuming round-ish hole) with Plastic Metal or
some such compound for filler.

2) Installation of brass outer collar - I think I
know the answer here - I installed it by cutting a
small outer collar to rest up against the hull and
enclose the inner mounting tube (to give a
bearing surface for the stand that was not the
ship bottom). However, I applied cyanoacrylate
to the inner tube and slid it on, and it stuck
about a 0.5 mm out from the hull (fast drying
^%$$!!), I'm assuming that I should get some
slower drying glue here....

3) Installation of brass stand into old GeoHex
base. How do you gaurantee verticality and
perpendicularity in both relevant axes? Any
tricks? I was thinking the application of some
more plastic metal at the joint would also be
wise to reinforce it.... but it might be
unaesthetic. Strikes me that one basedepth is a
small contact area for a 90 degree join...?

Thoughts and input appreciated. The concept
seems very cool.... I obviously just need to
refine the implementation so it is faster and
more effective.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Diemos GEV tank construction Next: ROE & MPs