Prev: Re: Was: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire Next: RE: Was: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

Re: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 21:56:35 -0800
Subject: Re: [DS] Hidden Units and Recon by Fire

DBA is an evolutionary offshoot of  WRG Ancients (7 total editions, or
is it 8 now ?) and its very persnickety army lists. DBA was explicitly
designed to be a very realistic wargame given its very high level of
abstraction and to avoid all the tournamenty aspects of 7th Edition. And

it's a fast play system - exactly 12 stands per army, balanced against
their historical opponents; and there are 180 armies listed.  DBA is to
7th Ed Ancients as FT is to SFB. Then they did DBM, which is a full
sized game, but retaining the simple mechanics of DBA.

With 12 stands per side (fewer than chess I'll point out) you can do an
amazing amount of flanking work on a 2" by 2" table. It scales down
bigger games very well. You usually have one block of infantry, maybe
two, and flanking units. This lets you do battle planning with minimal
distraction in detail. Roman and Carthaginian armies come down to how
the infnatry action in the center turns out. 100 Years War armies
shatter quickly (100 YW games take about 45 minutes once the terrain is
set).

WRG Ancients seems to be at a dead end from my limited perspective, and
DBA/DBM has taken off nicely.