Prev: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY-Conversion of NAC w/berets to ball caps Next: Re: [DSII] Infantry Mortars

Re: [DSII] Infantry Mortars

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 10:32:36 +0100
Subject: Re: [DSII] Infantry Mortars

"laserlight@quixnet.net" wrote:

> I'd put the mortar team in an APC and let it carry extra ammo.  If
they're not motorized or mechanized, then they're probably encumbered
> at best.  A light 60mm mortar has barrel, baseplate and bipod (each
piece about 15lb), and each round weighs about 3-4 pounds depending
> on what's in it.

The US 60mm was fairly hefty as light mortars go; the German 5cm weighed
in at around 14kg (no bipod but a hefty baseplate), each round weighed
0.9kg. Range was 520m. The British 2" was a lot lighter, weighing in at
5kg with a 1kg HE round, range 500 yards.

The only GZG mortar figure I've seen is the NAC RAM mortar team
(SGA-45), which is a pair of kneeling troops with a small bipod-less
mortar (sorry, can't find a picture on GZG, Eureka or Geo-Hex). If this
is taken to be a 'normal' infantry mortar in the GZGverse then they can
be considered easily man-portable.

Tony

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer
Kuju Entertainment

Prev: Re: KNOCKING THE ARMY-Conversion of NAC w/berets to ball caps Next: Re: [DSII] Infantry Mortars