Prev: Re: Reading Request. Next: Re: Clancy was: Reading Request.

Re: [OT]Weird American (not US) Politics

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:40:56 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT]Weird American (not US) Politics

From: "Glenn M Wilson" <triphibious@juno.com>

> >OUCH! A direct hit, Mr Brain... :>
> >
> Well, maybe.	But it is appreciated by us "Middle North Americans" *
> appreciate having you as neighbors. <Grin>  Always nice to have one
> border secure without controversy...

Yes, the Mexicans are friendly. :-) My wife has a cousin whose
family from all accounts owns a large chunk of Chihuahua - must go
visiting some time. It's nice to have "influence", especially since
they've been long-time opponents of the Institutional Revolutionary
Party, and so are IN rather than OUT with the Central Government. Not
that the Central Government has a hell of a lot of influence in any of
the
provinces. They've also been supporters of indigenous rights and income
re-distribution, but being one of the Fat Cat Ruling Elite, they ARE the
local feudal lords, so don't suffer the usual problems of Robber Barons
intimidating them.  In fact, they do the intimidating, the Federales are
very polite to them, at least in Chihuahua... so I'm told. They still
have to pay Squeeze outside their fiefdom.
They've been really pleased that the indigenous rights groups that have
a major following in their province have been such a radical and non-
violent success.
I'm told that a remarkable number of Old Wealth feudal overlords have
come to the conclusion that it's far better to be a medium-sized fish
in an Ocean rather than a big fish in a puddle. The families that have
come to this conclusion have gained a lot more wealth than the old
traditionalists, and are slowly consolidating their positions. So I
guess there's hope that Mexico might be more like the US in terms of
average income by the end of the 21st century. There might even be a
federation of Northern Mexico, Tejas, New Mexico and Southern
California.
But my crystal ball doesn't reach nearly that far, and it may all turn
to custard long before then.
(Hint: Find out the families based south-of-the-border who own large
slices of Texas city real-estate, electronics factories etc.)

My God, it's Free Cal-Tex!!! Just a spanish-speaking version.

Prev: Re: Reading Request. Next: Re: Clancy was: Reading Request.