Prev: [OT] I'm back Next: Re: [sg2] Non-Lethal Weapons

Re: Reading Request.

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:01:35 +0000
Subject: Re: Reading Request.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 03:29:03PM -0500, Warren Shultzaberger wrote:

>Could anyone recommend some similar space battle or Sci-Fi war books?

In no particular order...

William Keith's Warstrider series - yes, it's about large legged
fighting machines, but Keith is a better writer than he's given credit
for.

Other people have mentioned the Rick Shelley DMC series: Officer-Cadet,
Lieutenant, etc. I'm not very impressed with those, but you may feel
differently.

Roland Green has two excellent series out: _Peace Company_, which
consists of _Peace Company_, _These Green Foreign Hills_ and _The
Mountain Walks_, and _Starcruiser Shenandoah_, comprising _Squadron
Alert_, _Division of the Spoils_, _The Sum of Things_, _Vain Command_,
_The Painful Field_ and _Warriors for the Working Day_. I recommend
reading _Peace Company_ first - the books are more self-contained, so if
you decide you don't like Green's writing style you can at least not
break off in the middle of a story. _Shenandoah_ is really two
trilogies, and the books are about twice as thick as the _Peace Company_
ones.

Green's books are primarily about ground-based combat - there's some
space manoeuvreing, and a little fire support, but basically it's the
infantry that matter.

I'd also recommend Chris Bunch: the _Shadow Warrior_ series was pretty
dire, but I've enjoyed _The Last Legion_ so far: _The Last Legion_,
_Firemask_, _Storm Force_ and _Homefall_. Some space combat, mostly
ground forces, some covert ops. Also recommended is the _Sten_ series,
co-written with Allan Cole, though they're more small-unit (and
single-person) covert ops than main-line military: _Sten_, _The Wolf
Worlds_, _Court of a Thousand Suns_, _Fleet of the Damned_, _Revenge of
the Damned_, _The Return of the Emperor_, _Vortex_ and _Empire's End_.

Prev: [OT] I'm back Next: Re: [sg2] Non-Lethal Weapons