Prev: Re: [OT]Question for combat veterans Next: RE: [OT]Question for combat veterans

Re: We Were Soldiers

From: "Alan E Brain"<aebrain@w...>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:49:10 +1000
Subject: Re: We Were Soldiers

>--- Alan and Carmel Brain <aebrain@webone.com.au>

>> In Australia or the UK, they tend not to be so free
>> as the US with
>> medals.
>
>When criticized for awarding too many medals, Patton
>replied that an inch of silk ribbon for a German
>machine gun nest was as fair a trade as he could ask
>for.

One medal for 1 MG nest - I have no quibble about that.
Even for the attempt, whether successful or not. In my book, just about
anyone
personally involved in a heavily opposed breaching operation deserves a
sackfull
of medals.

What I *do* criticise is lumping the guys who take out mg nests or crawl
through
heavy fire to wire up C4 to an obstacle with the guys who get the same
award
*or higher* for achieving 75% subscriptions to war bonds, outstanding
achievement
in the use of the Xerox, their unit having the third-lowest rate of VD
in the
Brigade, or just because it's their turn this week.

Prev: Re: [OT]Question for combat veterans Next: RE: [OT]Question for combat veterans