Prev: Re: Scenario Mill Stuff was RE: Let me see if I understand this.... Next: RE: We Were Soldiers

Re: [OT]Question for combat veterans

From: "Robert W. Eldridge" <bob_eldridge@m...>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:13:40 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT]Question for combat veterans

Speaking for myself, not so much age, as practice. Some of it is
age-independent - I can remember sleeping in snatches while marching
back on
a cold December night from a field exercise when I was a cadet in ROTC
at
age 19 or so. And I remember being amazed at the time that I could sleep
while marching and toting about 60 pounds of gear. When I left the army
after 12 years service at age 34, I usually "slept" in the field by
grabbing
10-15 minute naps while travelling in my vehicle or during brief lulls,
whenever I got the chance. It probably added up to maybe two hours out
of
24, but I felt reasonable well rested.	And as I said, I'd ignore the
radio(s) unless I heard my call sign, in which case I was instantly
awake -
which I don't remember being able to do as a 2nd LT.