Prev: Re: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: Cultural Waves

Re: Holds for hauling OGRE/GEV troops...

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:18:43 -0500
Subject: Re: Holds for hauling OGRE/GEV troops...

>Sound great! Let us know how it works out.
>Remember to allow ground based fighter support and lasers (PDS) to take
down landing craft (reducing the >number of incoming forces).

I know.  I am hoping to come up with a quick and easy way to abstract
out so
that the closer they land to a city, the more dangerous it is, but the
faster the battle for the planet is over.  I think Laser turrets and
towers
should work well for that.

>You could have Ortillery in the Ogre games.
> - Treat as strength 6 attacks without range limitation, but limit the
number (3 per game per ortilery ship) due to time >spent above the
battlefield.
> - Or you could treat ortillery as cruise missiles. Roll 1d6 for
direction
and 3d6 for distance (from the intended >target hex; must stay on the
board). That is where the ortillery missile is low enough to be targeted
by
ground units. >Use normal cruise missile rules from that point.

I was thinking of something not quite so devistational...  Pulse
torpedoes
and lance pods are strength 6, Beams are strength 1 per class reduced by
the
classification of the planet, a terran planets is immune to anything
less
than class 4 beams.  Rail guns are strength 2 per class, but are reduced
at
twice the rate of beams.  Submunition packs are strength 2 regardless.
Salvo missiles launchers can be load with Orbital Bombardment Salvo
Missiles, mass 2, each one launches 6 strength 6 attacks...  Phalon
Plasma
Bolts, generate a sheath of fire.  The patern is of 19 hex circle, the
inner
hex is attacked at strength of the Plasma Bolt x 1.5 round up, the
middle
circle is attacked at the strength of the Plasma Bolt, the outer circle
is
attacked at the strength of the Plasma Bolt x 0.5 round down.  Plasma
Bolts
strength also reduced by atmosphere, so on a terran planet, only class 4
and
higher plasma bolts are somewhat effective.  Orbital bombardment can
only be
done by ships in orbit.  Ships are limitted in the number of ground
targets
they can engage by thier fire controls.  Ships can combine attacks of
different weapons (including types) to make stronger attacks.  Space and
ground combat happen concurrently, so weapons load outs at the beginning
of
the strategic turn can not be changed until next strategic turn.  From
the
simple planet orbiting rules in More Thrust, assuming a 6" radius Terran
world, orbital circumfrance of 74.4", results in one shot every 13
turns...
Note that it does not matter how big a planet is, each ship will have
one
shot every 13 turns...

>For Sa'Vasku, wait until the Ogrethulhu rules come out. They should
work
well.

Any ideas when the will be out?

ias

Prev: Re: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: Cultural Waves