Prev: Re: [OT] We Were Soldiers Next: Re: [OT] We Were Soldiers

Re: [OT] We Were Soldiers

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:02:37 -0800
Subject: Re: [OT] We Were Soldiers

That happens during wars as well. During the American Civil War there
were numerous instances of Union and CSA troops trading Northern coffee
for Southern tobacco, making arrangements regarding sentry posts (CSA
territory by night, Union by day; the troops would leave a load of
firewood and a pot of coffee brewing for the next "shift"), and
impromptu 'converts' given by regimental bands on opposite sides of a
river. Similar events happened during lulls on the Western Front during
WWI, although this died out towards the end of 1915.

As far as I have been able to determine these friendly acts happened
when the soldiers on both sides considered the conflict to be a
politician's war, not an ideological sruggle (which would require
indoctrination a la NVA/VC) or a war for survival (Germans vs Russians
in WW1 or WW2). In such conflicts the "soldiers like us" attitudes come
out after the war, possibly long after.

Please be gentle with replies, this is still a rough concept of mine.
I'm still roughing out the terminology.