Prev: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: [OT] We were soldiers

[OT] We Were Soldiers

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:50:56 -0500
Subject: [OT] We Were Soldiers

MINOR SPOILER ALERT: If you have not seen it,
this discusses briefly a couple of things that
happen.

Brian,

I saw WWS, and then within an hour of getting
home, an episode (on PBS) of (I think) Soldier's
Story called "The Battle of the Ia Drang Valley"
which had Hal Moore, Crandall, the Sgt. from
the detached platoon, etc. and the reporter.
They showed real footage. Interesting points:
1) terrain looked identical to that in the movie
(or very very close), 2) events like the Napalm
strike, the platoon chasing off, Crandall hurling,
etc were all apparently real, 3) They showed the
fight for X-ray but not the ambush that 2/7th
Cav took on the way to Albany following the
fight at X-ray, which was a pretty bad slaughter
for the US (they lost a lot of guys), 4) I was
very interested to note that they had someone
storm an anthill, throw grenades, and shoot up
the MG team behind it, but they didn't mention
that in the real world, he got the CMH for his
actions! (Must have offended the producer or
something... he was on the documentary).

So, it looks like they actually took what the guys
who were there said about the battle to heart.
Good or bad tactics, they appear to be
somewhat like what actually happened.

One of the funny parts was one of the officers
(a Captain, the guy who had to go for the lost
platoon) mentioned that he thought he was
calm until he issued an order to fix bayonets
and the NCO told him to calm down, that was
the FIFTH time he'd given that order....

Interesting story, worth seeing movie. Especially
notable in that it didn't seem to villify the North
Vietnamese.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges.
[The more corrupt a republic, the more laws.]
-- Tacitus

Prev: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: [OT] We were soldiers