Prev: Re: Swedish coastal vessels, was [DS, SG] Riverboat actions Next: OT: Gaming Poetry

Re: ARMORED CARS

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:37:32 -0500
Subject: Re: ARMORED CARS

At 6:17 PM +0000 3/18/02, Robin Paul wrote:

>Saladin was definitely 76mm- I can't think of any British AFV with a
90mm,
>unless it's a refit in someone else's army.

Damn that mail app crash. I thought I hadn't sent this. I decided to
double check my sources. I had additional info composed for a mail
message then couldn't find evidence to support my argument....I bow
to the correct info of 76mm....

>As a child, I lived opposite Redford Barracks in Edinburgh (Scots
Greys,
>Royal Scots and many others over the years), and we were regularly
treated
>to Saladins and Saracen APCs (I can almost hear the "Wheeeeeeeeee!"
noise
>they made!). Stalwart amphib lorries were a particular favourite.

Must have been nice. Closest I've gotten to a Saladin was on top of
the turret and at the driver's hatch at TanksAlot. I took a bunch of
photo's. Course, I do have my own ferret Mk2/3 so its not all that
bad. Lookind down into the Stalwart at Tanks Alot had me strongly
fearing ever having to work on one of those beasts. The size of the
gearbox, transfer box, PTO for the Pumpjets, controls arms for the 4
wheel steering and all the other bits seriously scared me (most of
the parts are really common with the Saracen/Saladins. I'll stick to
mucking about with the sufficiently complex and intimidating
B60/W.E.P-S.Gearbox on the ferret. This weekend saw a happy event on
00DA61. The Fluid coupling had zero loss of fluid after 1000 miles of
use in my hands. A non leaky fluid coupling is a really good thing
when you can't get the REME to fix it for you.

--
Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |

Prev: Re: Swedish coastal vessels, was [DS, SG] Riverboat actions Next: OT: Gaming Poetry