Prev: Re: Fav Figs! A question Next: Re: Swedish coastal vessels, was [DS, SG] Riverboat actions

Re: ARMORED CARS

From: "Robin Paul" <Robin.Paul@t...>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:17:47 -0000
Subject: Re: ARMORED CARS

----- Original Message -----
From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 5:06 PM

> At 8:47 AM +0000 3/18/02, Christopher Downes-Ward wrote:
> >  > > those of us who had been to europe wished we had some of
> >>  those big UK
> >>  > armored cars with the 90mm main gun and MGs, or even some
> >>  French ones!
> >>
> >>  76mm, but that's a nitpick.
> >All the Scorpions are gone now. They've been taking the 76mm turret
off
and
> >putting on
> >the 30mm Rarden turrets from the Fox armoured car.
>
> Those would be Light Tanks. The Saladin was the armored car. The
> Saladin had a 90mm Main Gun.
>
> The Fox had the 30mm Rarden. Foxes were just coming off the line
> during Vietnam. The Saladin's had been around for years. Heck the
> Saracen Wheeled APC was around for the Malayan Emergency.
> - Ryan Montieth Gill			       '01 Honda Insight -

Saladin was definitely 76mm- I can't think of any British AFV with a
90mm,
unless it's a refit in someone else's army.

As a child, I lived opposite Redford Barracks in Edinburgh (Scots Greys,
Royal Scots and many others over the years), and we were regularly
treated
to Saladins and Saracen APCs (I can almost hear the "Wheeeeeeeeee!"
noise
they made!). Stalwart amphib lorries were a particular favourite.

ISTR there _was_ a US armoured car programme in the '60s (XM800W ?) and
the
"Twister" articulated armoured car, but they became ever more bloated,
more
expensive, and less useful, and were abandoned.

Rob Paul

Prev: Re: Fav Figs! A question Next: Re: Swedish coastal vessels, was [DS, SG] Riverboat actions