Prev: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:35:36 -0500
Subject: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR

At 08:43 PM 3/18/02 +1100, you wrote:
>From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@voicenet.com>
>
>> (Today's Gem:
>> PARENT: My child has to do a report on a famous African-American, and
her
>> teacher assigned...here it is: Marie Curie.
>
>Oh My Sainted Aunt.
>
>That's one of the scariest things I've seen on this group for a long
time.
>Poor kid. I hope the parent made a formal complaint... or at least had
>little talk with the teacher. It may have been a mis-communication. I
hope.

As do I.  It's happened before.  Teacher to child to parent -- there's
bound to be miscommunication.

>> Get up, time to go.	Hey, look!  A bag full of white powder.  Great,
time
>> call the cops...."
>>
>> (It happened.  As soon as they heard "white powder" 911 connected me
>the
>> fire department, but it turned out to be a bag full of drugs, just as
I'd
>> suspected.  Coke or heroin; I don't know which.)
>
>...and that's another of the scariest things. You mean the
drugs-in-schools
>bit in the US isn't just media hype or confined to s very small
percentage?
>Erk.

I work in a public library -- schools are at least a little better.  We
did
recieve a few phone calls the next week from a fellow who had lost his
"dietary supplement" in the library.

>The final scariest thing is that your emergency services immediately
>suspected
>a biowar attack rather than drugs. O Tempora, O Mores!

This was back in December, when 911 was getting calls about white powder
every five minutes or so.  I hated to participate in the hysteria -- I
knew
what the reaction was going to be -- but what choice was there?

But anyway...I'm being all off-topical.  I'm trying to think of
something
to bring us back around to SGII, but all I can think of is GW's Space
Marine Combat Librarians.  I should pick up some just so I can run a
scenarion about their launching a raid on an enemy stronghold to collect
some overdue books....

John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR Next: Re: Librarians, was RE: [SG] HAMR