Prev: Re: [OT] Goose Green Next: Re: MIT to make tech 'exoskeleton' for Army

Euro-Immigrants was: Anti-Americanism

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 09:10:52 +0100
Subject: Euro-Immigrants was: Anti-Americanism

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com>
> > My impression is that in the last two decades or so,
> >  this has changed considerably in Britain and a number of other
> > European countries, including Germany. There are quite substantial
immigrant
> > populations, some of them living here for two or more generations.
>
> Yeah.  I've been trying to figure out what was up with
> all those Turks and Kurds in FRG for a while now.

Most of the immigrants from Turkey (Ethnic Turks, Kurds and whatever)
came
during the late 1960's when Germany lacked people to do the menial work
and
hired from all over Southern Europe and even further afield. Many have
settled down here for life - the oldest ones now have reached pension
age.
Many of their descendants have now German citizenships and can be found
in
all kinds of positions. There is at least one German-Turkish
(or -Kurdish)representative in the Bundestag, there are various
prominent
journalists and TV actors, there are successful Turkish-led companies
etc.
On the other hand, others didn't make it and now form a ghettoized
proletariat where sometimes radical Islamist find fertile grounds.

Like other immigrant groups (Serbs and Croats, for example), they
brought a
lot of their home feuds with them, and tend to fight them out here.

Later, Germany closed its doors  to such open immigration, but through
asylum seeker, family reunifications, etc. a lot of people have still
come
in.

What exactly do you mean by your question "What's up with all those
Turks
and Kurds ?"  ?

Greetings

Prev: Re: [OT] Goose Green Next: Re: MIT to make tech 'exoskeleton' for Army