Prev: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs... Next: Re: [OT] Potpourri: Responsibility, Paintball, List Seniority

Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...

From: Kevin Walker <sage@c...>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:23:54 -0600
Subject: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs...

On Friday, March 15, 2002, at 03:47 PM, Imre A. Szabo wrote:

> The idea is to drive the cost way up for "overpowered" Sa'Vasku ships.
>
> 0 to 12.5% of mass costs 1 NPV per generator
> 12.51 to 25% of mass costs 2 NPV per generator
> 25.01 to 37.5% of mass costs 4 NPV per generator
> 37.51 to 50% of mass costs 8 NPV per generator
> 50.1 to 62.5% of mass costs 16 NPV per generator
> 62.51 to 75% of mass costs 32 NPV per generator

The problem of overpowering is not just percentage of the PGs versus
over all mass, but the total energy available for use in firing.  True a

higher PG/Hull ratio makes it easier to maneuver and fire at the same
time, however even an SV ship with 25% mass in generators is going to be

able to do speed 12 in a single turn so they can afford to thrust
maximum every other turn and fire on the other turns.  A scale like this

will encourage larger ship designs to take the place of the smaller
ships for the same use.  I believe the fix needs to be made with way
energy is channeled to tasks.  As it stands more than one stinger is
only useful for firing at more targets, providing wider arcs of coverage

and as backup when thresholds take some down.  The fact that a single
stinger is more useful point and mass wise for a larger ship than a
smaller ship is the key to the problem as I see it.  Limiting the amount

of power that can be put through it might be a interesting way to do
things but this has been mentioned before.

Hmmm, maybe a stinger class like beam classes?	A Stinger of class X
could use 4 * X power.	 Then again this would invalidate or make
necessary changes to all the FB2 ships.

I still like a maximum of 8 points of energy through a single stinger,
allowing stingers to combine together to make longer range shots were
more than 8 points of power are needed for a single shot.

Okay...enough of my rambling on.

Kevin Walker
Horizon Concepts, Inc.
Macintosh & Windows Development
Miniature Painting & Sculpting

Prev: Re: FT: Sa'Vasku ship costs... Next: Re: [OT] Potpourri: Responsibility, Paintball, List Seniority