Prev: Re: Figures, Games at ECC (last one/next one) Next: UNSC Marines

Re: 1:1 FMAS

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 21:15:00 -0500
Subject: Re: 1:1 FMAS

>Due to the smaller size of the Australain League the teams all do play
each
>other and there is no Novice division at league level - however, there
are
>tournaments specifically oriented around entry level players that
exclude
>experienced teams or many players so that they can bulit match
experience
>without getting turned into pizzas....

Considering how much difference the right kit can make (Something about
18+
balls a second sucks...  Don't know what it is yet), they restrict the
rankings by legal equipment as much as experience (though that counts
too).  Interestingly enough, the Am and Pro levels are allowed comm
equipment of various types, but the middle Novices aren't.  Usually.  A
ref
once told me the Am's tend to do more damage to themselves with the
comms,
which is why they're allowed, and almost anything non-lethal and law
legal
are allowed in Pro.  (I _HATE_ automatic weapons.  At least, when I
don't
have one.  Or my grenade launcher.  I love my airbursts.)

>Yup - warning noted - the resolution doesn't really let you see the
detail
>of the damage he suffered but it does remind me of what happens when a
>delicate organ gets struck at 300 fps - nasty.

300 fps is kinda hot around here.  Luckily for me *sarcasm* when I
switched
to N2 my gun quit firing anything faster than 250 (on a good day).
Yes, I've tried a new spring.  I did some airsmith work for the local
fields for a while.  Fun stuff.

>Uh-huh: I'm no hero and as I work on a field, I have experienced hits
while
>the addrenalin isn't flowing - they usually score an expletive, butthe
worst
>hits are the ones that put you out of a league game that cost you the
>tourney... :-)

Worst injuries I've seen to date (not including the above URL which I
haven't witnessed) mainly exclude paintballs themselves.  Except for the

very near miss to an eye due to an idiot removing his mask (burst alot
of
blood vessels and did some internal damage that affected the guys sight)

the major injuries I've seen are several broken bones due to falls, a
major
concussion and a lot of blood from an joker who ran straight down a
steep
hill into a tree (Very cartoon like, without the cartoon characters
innate
ability to bounce back uninjured), one near beheading from running into
rope for a flag...  Interesting story there.  Extreme hats off to the
Refs
at Paintball Atlanta.  They saved the guy's eyes, if not life.	It was a

final round tourney, the guy made a end game run for the flag, caught
the
rope right across the windpipe, mask went one way, his legs went out
from
under him, and he was already taking _major_ fire.  2 Refs jumped
litterally on top of him, the other four corner judges ran to the
center,
hands up, taking a lot of shots, yelling cease fire.  (Before anyone
jumps
on the teams throats, in speedball, there's usually 100-200 shots in the

air at any one time.  And every second, as many as 180 more go.  It
takes a
second or two to register the cease fire order)  When they guy got up,
we
noted over 30 distinguished hits, and several spots that were 2 or more
hits splotched together.  He had none the moment before he hit the rope.

Worst I ever had was the newbie with an auto that didn't know when to
quit
shooting.  I took it on the back, but having only a camo shirt on, and
he
being 6-7 feet away (a complete ambush...) it hurt alot.

Rand.

Prev: Re: Figures, Games at ECC (last one/next one) Next: UNSC Marines