Prev: Re: 1:1 FMAS Next: Re: Sheep Puns

Re: 1:1 FMAS

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 00:16:36 -0500
Subject: Re: 1:1 FMAS

At 03:23 PM 3/14/02 +1100, you wrote:
> > Paintball, on the other hand, has the most important biological
stupidity
> > penalty next to death... Pain.  Those things _HURT_ at close range,
and
> > they don't feel like a love tap from any other range.
> >
> > >But physical fitness (and the ability to move quietly in the woods)
is
> > >pretty key.
>
>I've got to jump in about here - I work at a paintball field and play
on a
>Pro Team here in OZ - fitness is usefull for certain styles of play -
tactic
>revolve around your capabilities and will determine the outcome - The
local
>Army, Navy, Airforce, Reserves and Military colleges train at our
fields on
>a regular basis and the fitness has NO part in what they do - I have
seen
>their teams get smashed in short order by very unfit individuals who
keep
>changing their tactics  - paintball does revlove heavily around
movement and
>communication. Firepower is a consideration, but as the pump vs semis
>tourneys we hold and play in every month attest - communication and
steady
>nerve can beat strength, speed and agility.

Pro?  *props*  I've never made it past amateur and novice ranks.

I didn't mean to say fitness isn't an advantage, just not a primary one.

Communication...  I knew I forgot one.	:)  Definitely a big one.

>12 year olds can't play here - but they still will lack the
co-ordination to
>act as a team - again I say this is more important than those physical
>characteristics.

That's the minimum age here, and they need a parents signature.  And, as

with any age player, the bad ones lack co-ordination, the good ones
develop it.

>  True, they're
> > usually quicker, more agile, more energy, more in shape, etc.  But
those
> > only make it hurt worse when they laugh at you in the kill box.
Still,
> > brains and sneaky beat youth and fitness, even in this game.
>
>Yup - the sledging hurts morethan the paint - which IMHO does not hurt
as
>much as some people make out..... :-)

Close range hurts.  There's an URL (don't have it right now) of a guy
who
took a round <5 feet (crushing) in the groin.  Lost one of two.  He even

shows pictures.  Firmed my religious choice on cups or not.  And some
friendly advice for any lady who may want to play, wear one too.

>One other point is luck - "better lucky than good"  has won more
tourneys
>than just skill - I admit to being a little lucky and I like to think
I'm
>skilled, but I've been eliminated by lucky people on many occaisions -
>paybacks just one game away ;-)

Ah luck, that squirrelly mistress.

Rand.