Prev: Re: Alien Space, got one for sale Next: SG2 terrain

Re: Teeny Nukes

From: "Randy W. Wolfmeyer" <rwwolfme@a...>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:42:14 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: Teeny Nukes

Actually, there are several pulsars that have periods of just a few
milliseconds, down to about 1.5 milliseconds as far as I can tell from
an
online search, and these are "solid" objects rotating that fast.  In an
accretion disk is matter that has pretty much been shredded already by
gravitational tidal effects.

As an undergrad, I was working on a research project doing computer
simulations to determine the maximum rate of spin for neutron stars.  If
its spinning too fast, the centrifugal "force" will tear the outer
layers
of the star off into orbit, and the whole thing starts breaking up.
Unfortunately I graduated before we started getting any real data and
the
student who was supposed to finish it pretty much gave up on it all.

Randy Wolfmeyer
Dept. of Physics
Washington University