Prev: Re: Um, eh? (Orbital Mechanics for Dummies) Next: Re: Gyrobombs

Re: RE: [FT] Orbit and FT

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:04:22 +0100
Subject: Re: RE: [FT] Orbit and FT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@hotmail.com>
> Ok, again, how to simulate this in a scenario that calls for
Geostationary
> orbit over a specific point NOT on the equator?  Could you just
require
the
> ship to expend X amount of thrust each turn to maintain that spot?  Am
> right in assuming that the farther north/south of the equator, the
more
> thrust would be required and the shorter the orbit? Am I also right in
> extrapolating from this that at some point, in concept directly over
the
> poles, you would cease to actually orbit, and instead be "Hovering"
over
the
> planet and expending much thrust?  It also seems that this thrust
would be
> equal to the necessary velocity to maintain orbit at that range (ie,
if at
> range, Y velocity is required to orbit, you could hover by expending Y
> thrust every turn), and that for any point between the equator and the
pole,
> there should be some fraction of this relationship at work.  Sounds
pretty
> daunting with modern thrust technology, but with the right PSB........

Over the pole, the Thrust will have to exactly counterbalance the pull
of
gravity on the spaceship. I'm not sure of this scales closer to teh
equator,
but the Sine of the latitude * the gravity would be my first guess.

It's perfectly feasible with present-day thrust technology. Any modern
Jet
fighter has more thrust than mass. You could station one of them
hovering
over a pole
and burn a hole in the ice there (at least until the fuel runs out, and
assuming a good autopilot).

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Um, eh? (Orbital Mechanics for Dummies) Next: Re: Gyrobombs