Prev: Re: Gyrobombs Next: Re: Gyrobombs

Re: [FT] Orbit and FT

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 21:41:09 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Orbit and FT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@hotmail.com>
> How would you simulate GS orbit using those rules?  Do you have each
band
> around the planet, instead of having one fixed velocity for orbit,
have a
> range of allowable velocities, with GS somewhere within that range, or
do
> you have one band at which the orbital velocity matches the velocity
> necessary to maintain GS?  Or is there some direct relationship I'm
> forgetting between a planets rotational speed and the orbital speed
> required by it's gravity (being as they are both affected by its
mass)?

A planet's mass and its rotational speed (or day length) are rather
poorly
correlated. A satellite's orbital velicity depends on the planet's mass
and
the distance from the planet's center. For geosynchronous orbit you want
an
orbit where the satellite moves around the planet in exactly one local
day.
Viewed from (turning) planet it then appears to be stationary above a
point
on the planet.

Greetings
Karl Heinz