Prev: [GZG-ECC] AARs now posted Next: RE: DSII/ Assault Lander, was Fwd: Ask...

Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:42:35 +1100
Subject: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

At 04:07  11/03/02 -0800, John wrote:
> > [ Derek] can be successfully argued General Macarthur swayed
> > US foreign policy from
> > stopping communist aggression to removing communist
> > North Korea.
>
>How successful was he?  Oh yeah, successful enough to
>get sacked.

Until the Chinese demonstrated the flaw in MacArthur's thinking he was
VERY
successful and was something of a icon to the American public. Imagine,
the
American President travelling across the Pacific to meet with a theatre
commander? And the result of the meeting? Such was MacArthur's
reputation
at that time President Truman let him have his way.

> > escape me at the moment, but I do remember the
> > incoming general had a very
> > poor opinion of MacArthur, in fact in his previous
> > appointment he had
> > recommended the 'sacking' of MacArthur to the JCS )
> > the "bug out" culture
> > prevailing in the US command stop.
>
>General Ridgeway.  And as for the "bug out" culture
>you're referring to, he took command after the war had
>more or less stalemated.

Not so, let me give you some clues, a US formation encircled by CCF
units
ready to beat feet until ordered not to by Gen. Ridgeway (thanks for the

name BTW), a French battalion whose actions at this battle now have the
battle permanently associated with the unit name. Further more the units

commander was a General who busted himself two grades to Colonel to lead

that battalion. Name this battle and you probably have the 'end' of the
bug
culture.

> > "The Americans do not like holding defensive
> > positions. They have been
> > trained for withdrawals. The Americans do not
> > understand infiltration and
> > feel very naked when anybody threatens their flank
> > or rear."
> >
> > Secret report to the British chiefs of staff from
> > Korea, 1951
>
>I see why it was a secret.  Of course, the
>Commonwealth units _never_ retreated in Korea.

Well actually. no they didn't (to the best of my knowledge). In fact the

3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment only withdrew when ordered to.

>Or in
>WWII.	Or WWI.  Or the Boer War.  Or at any other
>time.

Well that answers available in the public domain :)

>By the way, at what point did the Commonwealth
>get around to sending troops to Korea?

Almost immediately as soon as the call went out, the British, Canadians,

New Zealanders and Australians all contributed to the 27th BCB before it

was replaced by the 28th BCB

>I mean to say,
>were they there in time for the original CVC
>offensive?  I know they weren't there yet during the
>first North Korean offensive.

You already know the answer to that don't you? We discussed this off
list,
but here's a reminder. Name the first unit in the UN command to face and

defeat the CCF in battle? Answer, 3rd Battalion Royal Australian
Regiment.
There's a whole list of achievements that the unit's of the 27th BCB for

the period of the advance then withdrawal ending with the Battle of
Kayong
but going into them again with you is pointless.

> > Don't forget the Bazooka and the BAR
> > We're lookin' for Charlie, he can't be far
> > Gonna move him on, if he ain't long gone
> > Goin' back up the pass, gonna kick some ass,
> > Gonna move him on.
> >
> > US Army song.
>
>Uhh. . . what's that got to do with the price of
>beans?

Why compared to the 27th BCB marching songs it should be obvious, even
you :)

But like I said this is all fairly pointless since your always right
regardless of how wrong you are :)

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: [GZG-ECC] AARs now posted Next: RE: DSII/ Assault Lander, was Fwd: Ask...