Prev: Re: FT: Carriers Next: Re: Subject: Fighting qualities of Italians

Re-entry: was FT: Carriers

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:07:45 -0700
Subject: Re-entry: was FT: Carriers

You have to remember to take into account the direction of re-entry.
Shuttles re-enter west to east to match the rotation of the Earth.
Re-entry the other way would mean you would have to add 24,000 MPH
relative to the ground.

This poses interesting questions for ground based detection - would
assault forces always be required to enter in the same direction as the
planet orbited?  Would it make placement of defenses easier if you knew
they always had to come in (taking the US on Earth for example) over the
West Coast first? Or would they re-enter on the far side of the planet
and transit in atmosphere to the target site?

This might be a reason for building large squadrons of atmospheric
interceptors.

--Binhan