Prev: Re: [SGII] The Eyes Have It. Next: RE: [SGII] The Eyes Have It.

Re: Subject: Fighting qualities of Italians

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:39:11 +0100
Subject: Re: Subject: Fighting qualities of Italians

John Atkinson wrote:

> > Unfair comment.
> > The Italian Army suffered terrible losses in WW1 and
> > were as good as the  French or Germans.
>
>Lots of people suffered terrible losses in WWI.  In
>fact, the worst losses were (percentage-wise) suffered
>by the Belgians.  I'd have to look up percentages.  I
>doubt it was as high as some armies that fought
>considerably better.
>
>As good as the French.  Well, a pack of Quakers would
>put up a better fight than the French.  The French
>people and the French Army were completely lacking in
>any military quality or fighting spirit, and used
>their massive resources in as stupidly and cowardly
>manner as possible.
>
>As for the Germans, that's about as stupid a comment
>as is humanly possible.  Germans:  Conquered Denmark,
>Norway, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Poland,
>Yugoslavia, Greece, 3 Baltic states, Ukraine, big
>chunks of Russia.  Italians:  Conquered Albania
>(inhabited, from personal experience, mostly by
>illiterate filthy cowardly bandits)

Um, John? You know, I was quite unaware that Germany conquered all those

countries during World War ONE - which is the war you're discussing
here.

Similarly your description of French tactics seem rather more
appropriate
to WW*2* than to WW*1*. If any army squandered resources needlessly
during
the Great War, it was the Brits - a certain Mr. Haig in particular.

However, I don't think the Italian performance during WW1 was
particularly
impressive - IIRC they got rather soundly beaten by the Austrians, who
were
themselves not too successful during that war.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.

Prev: Re: [SGII] The Eyes Have It. Next: RE: [SGII] The Eyes Have It.