Prev: Re: Now on topic previously was Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom.... Next: [SGII] The Eyes Have It.

Nukes vs. Tunnels --> Flame wars, your country needs YOU!

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:02:45 -0500
Subject: Nukes vs. Tunnels --> Flame wars, your country needs YOU!

Derek said:

As for this thread, in TomB's defense I think he was just showing us
something could be interesting seeings as we WARgame it just got out of
hand from there.

Tomb:
Thanks Derek. I don't think there was an ounce of anti-American
sentiment in anything I said, unless someone read something into it that
was never intended (a common problem of the Internet and those with hair
triggers...). I find it funny that anyone can think of nuclear weapons
as "clean". (In a relative sense, small tactical weapons well might
be.... but relative isn't always the important barometer!). That was
about the extent of my comments.

I refuse to dable in defending Canada versus ridicule from John or
anyone else. Not because I do not value my country (I wore the uniform
and was prepared to give all I had), but ultimately because this is not
the forum and "mine is bigger than yours" ceased being interesting along
about when I left Junior High. Besides, a closed mind is its own
punishment.

However, I do sympathize with your comment about some listers sentiments
making the list toxic for people of certain persuasions (Muslim, French,
Eastern European, etc.) I'm sure they _could_ just deal with it and have
a thick skin, but why would they bother? And why should they have to? Is
this really an appropriate locale for bigotry? (justified in someone's
mind or not?). The Americans have a right to object to anti-Americanism
(that isn't any better than any other style of bigotry). But I think
blanket statements about any group do great injustice to individuals and
reflect poorly on their orators (or writers in this instance).

I'm sure there is an alt.politics.US.and.them or alt.bigotry or some
such place for such infantile and inflammatory rhetoric. I'm just
disappointed that we as a community seem to think _this_ is also an
appropriate venue for such drivel.

Tomb :(
Sorry he started the thread, though didn't recognize the risk at the
time

Prev: Re: Now on topic previously was Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom.... Next: [SGII] The Eyes Have It.