Prev: Re: OTSuez. (was nukes ..tunnels.. boom) Next: newwave.org

Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 08:05:27 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT]Nukes... tunnels.... boom....

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002 15:35:30 +1100, Derek Fulton
<derekfulton@bigpond.com>
wrote:

Hi, Derek.

Now this is truly weird... I haven't cleared out my GZG Mailing List
folder in
quite a while. Your message brought the total to... 666. *L*

A short editorial comment, then some actual list content below!

>What I don't enjoy is opening up a email
>with phrases like "Piss off, Canuck" by John A. responding to slights
real
>or imagined to the US. I don't think Tom's original post or Brian's
>comments in reply were intended as a deliberate attack and if it was
>(remote chance at that) I think John A. can demonstrate how big a man
he is
>and shrug them off.

I agree with you, 100%. In John's defense, it's hard to see something
that
riles you and not jump all over it. I mostly stay out of flame wars even
when
I'm seething to dive in. Sometimes I don't succeed, but I usually do.
(This
thread is a good example; I'm trying hard not to type "George W. Bush is
no
Harry Truman... oops, came out anyway. *L*). John was replying to what
he saw
was an anti-American, inflammatory post by Brian.

On the other hand, Brian's comment was anti-Bush, not anti-American. In
fact,
the nickname "Shrub" was coined by Molly Ivins, a Texas journalist.
John's
comments are far from universal.

(Living here in the US, I will say that what _does_ seem to be universal
is
American support for its ground troops. This is something that I wish
Canada
had.)

>I've had my say and I find it disappointing that I felt the need to do
so
>in the first place.

What I find sad is that the flame war pretty much killed what could have
been
a really interesting thread. How do you handle small, limited nukes in
DS2 and
SG2? Yes, SG2... for, as Tom will point out in the Traveller universe,
there
were ways of defending against nukes that closed within SG2 range. I
think
"pocket nukes" (as opposed to backpack nukes) or nuclear grenades could
be an
interesting addition to the DS2 and SG2 arsenals.

Maybe we can save the thread and talk about a game role for nuclear
weapons,
assuming a technology that allows you to make a very tiny nuke that
explodes
with, say, the force of a large artillery shell.

At any rate, perhaps this will stimulate an on topic discussion, or
maybe the
thread is hopelessly lost. Either way, I'd like to see an end to the
flame
wars that have so recently crept up on the list. As those of you who
have been
around for a while know, I used to be a pretty heavy contributor to the
list.
The flame wars are the main reason -- though there are others -- that I
spend
most of my time lurking.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"

Prev: Re: OTSuez. (was nukes ..tunnels.. boom) Next: newwave.org