Prev: Re: GZG ECC V Next: Re: Land Warfare Systems

[ECC] Lancaster, at a glance

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 00:00:27 -0500
Subject: [ECC] Lancaster, at a glance

Friday:
Good drive down with Jim Bell (Ottawa), JP Fiset
(Ottawa) and Doug Schavo (Kingston).

Friday night:
Charlie Don't Surf.... as ASAS and Australian
Mech Inf. My Mech Inf got to clear a villlage,
burn some supplies, leave the village, have the
villagers and the enemy save some of the
supplies (typical) while chasing the remainder of
the suppplies. My ASAS got to take a 6 man
squad up against about 30 NVA. After a
Napalm strike and a brutal close combat, 4 of 6
ASAS were killed, 2 were captured, in exchange
for the platoon command squad (killed in close
assault) and about 10-12 other NVA figures.
That platoon wasn't too happy....

Meanwhile, the American press was running
around reporting things with the level of
accuracy and factuality that we've all come to
know and love. Especially interesting was their
possession of the "teleporter".

Kudos to "Benny Rambo" (Jon Davis), the one-
man cinematic wrecking crew. And Stu for
running a nice-looking game with some very
odd rules which was quite a bit of fun, in a sort
of psycho way!

Later Friday Night:
Abbreviated Formula De which saw Doug S.
leaving the pack of 10-11 cars entirely behind.
And having to (at least as of when we called the
game) admire the brake lights of Sr. Davis
car.... (I'll get you yet.... you wouldn't have held
me off for three laps!!!!). Lots of fun.
Then, while most people went off to bed, 5 very
silly Canadians fought two games of Nuclear
War, one resulting in a win for Doug S, and
another a no-win game where final retalliations
killed everyone. Oh, and there was beer
involved (nice to be able to buy take-out beer
from the House of Pizza even in the middle of
the night).

Saturday Morning:
Ran "A Change of Orders". SG2. An ESU Platoon
investigates the remains of an enemy
surveillance satellite. An OUDF Platoon
investigates the remains of a crashed enemy
surveillance plane. Neither side is right. It's a
crashed Kravak Scoutship (neither side has
every met KV yet). They get clues from some of
the wreckage, begin shooting at one another.
Then an ESU squad is obliterated by a sudden
surprise KV close assault (they discovered one
crew member, and wounded him, so the others
had to act). Then both sides started radioing
for help and support. And got changed orders!
The rest of the game saw Ortillery strikes from
both sides, mortar attacks, the arrival of tanks
and walkers for the ESU, the arrival of a VTOL
and the Gurkhas to help the OUDF. End result -
ESU gets away with some info (most of their
physical evidence was blown off the map by
three ortillery strikes on the same place), OUDF
gets away with a live prisoner. ESU casualties
are about 35%, OUDF about 20%. The ESU
actually did more and would have got more if
they hadn't had the bad luck to eat ortillery.
Special note: At one point, due to ambiguous
communication, both OUDF and ESU HQ
considered deploying the "Omega Option"
(read: nuclear strike). However, saner heads
prevailed. And the Kravak CSAR vessel showed
up and picked up the remains of the downed
scoutship crew they were there to rescue.

Friday Noon:
The Cheese Game. Beyond description by me. It
featured a news group of NPCs, my squad of
Eldar Harlequins, a squad of flaming (in every
sense of the word....) Protos Rejects, Boba Fett
and his 6x6 Deathtruck, an NSL Squad, Awful
Green Things from Outer Space led by a three-
eyed fuzzy penguin, Space Hillbillies, some
space-marine-ish PA, and another squad whose
origins are lost to me. Oh, and a horde of
howling Gretchen!
Final Tally: Rick Rutherfords PA takes first,
Harlequins take second, and the Gretchen kill
most of the cursed News Crew. Oh, and the
Harlequins kill Boba Fett! (The Empire formerly-
known as the Republic cannot stand against the
troops of the Evil Empire known as GW, and
neither can their hired guns!)

Friday Evening:
Silverstone FMAS on an asteroid. The Zhodani
displace calculating thinking to deploy (and
teleportation) and try to gain entry to the
objective. The Imperial marines find every
sinkhole and talus avalanche they can. Much
gunfire is exchanged, and several close
combats are fought. Heavy armour on both
sides (and an oops on penetration of gauss
rifles) keeps the casualty counts down.  Adrian J
distinguishes himself with aggressive play and
Laserlight proves the Zhodani can think on their
feet. The result would have been a draw, as
neither side was decisively ahead and the
Zhodani were about to open the alien pyramid,
but they might well have been kicked off of it by
the Marines. One highlight was the entire table
chanting "Death To Tom! Death To Tom!"
(apparently they take instructions from HQ
somewhere in Tasmania). Admittedly, they'd just
found out that the battle was in actuality over
nothing as both sides' intelligence reports had
been utterly wrong.... ;)

Later Friday Evening:
Virus (cardgame) and Damn the Torpedos and
Beer with JP, Jim, Doug, Mike Hudak, Adrian J,
and Rick Rutherford in the lounge.

Sunday Morning:
Sleep.
Say goodbyes.
Buy far far far too much resin and other stuff.

General:
A Great Time. Too bad KR couldn't make it.
Very Large Grandiose and Deserved Thank You
All to the organizers Jon, Mark, Jerry and Nick
(and anyone else I'm forgetting) are in order.
The result was.... amazing. And for those of you
interested in PBeM FT, you've got a rather
amazing surprise coming soon I'm told!

Thanks to my fellow gamers, whose company
was wonderful as usual. Thanks to my fellow
Canucks for representing Canada so well. (PS,
we may have had to take silver in the Cheese
game, but we won the Pod Race, the Formula
De Race, and we hold the Pod Race Land
Speed Record at either 77 mu/turn or 89
mu/turn depending on how you reckon it!)

AARs will (with pix) eventually appear on
stargrunt.ca. One thing we'd like a lot is if
anyone with a camera got a pic of Adrian
getting his painting awards, please send us a
copy - my DC ran out of juice and Adrian's was
unfortunately not successfully operated by the
suddenly-impressed camera-drone... :)

One last thing: Derek Fulton.... you will pay for
your instigation sometime.... even if I have to
come over there.... ;)	 <*grin*>

Tomb Raider

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

Corruptisima republica plurimae leges.
[The more corrupt a republic, the more laws.]
-- Tacitus

Prev: Re: GZG ECC V Next: Re: Land Warfare Systems