Prev: Re: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS Next: Re: GEV Tank

Re: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 02:36:48 -0500
Subject: Re: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS

At 10:10 PM -0600 3/2/02, Allan Goodall wrote:
>On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 14:28:59 -0500, Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>>So you had
>>1 Cpl with sten or other sub gun
>>6 pvts w/ SMLEs or No4's
>>
>>1 LCpl with a SMLE/No4 and several bren mags
>>1 Pvt w/ a Bren, several mags and a parts wallet
>>1 Pvt w/ bren mags and spare barrel/parts roll
>
>Not always a private with the bren. My dad was a lance corporal in the
>Highland Light Infantry, from 1958 to 1960. He was the section's Bren
gunner.

Oh, granted. Above was just the basic structure. It deviated more or
less. Some cases had more Stens spread around. Others had experienced
privates leading the entire section.

>He also noted that during marches, the Bren was passed from man to man.
The
>thing was heavy and it was considered unfair, at least in his unit, to
have
>the same man marching with it. Note that this was not during combat
>situations, though they trained under combat situations.

Well, load everyone else down with additional Mills bombs, 2" motar
rounds for the mortar section, added bren mags, a full sized shovel
or pick, some compo boxes, and extra water. The Bren gunner wouldn't
feel so bad...

>Makes for an interesting scenario idea. Have a support weapon carried
by a
>random member of the squad, requiring a reorganize to put it into the
right
>hands. Oh, and then have the squad jumped in ambush...

Could be interesting. But if they are walking about in a contact area
with out the correct people carrying the correct weapons, then they
need to get bush-wacked.

Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |
	| O--=-  |	       |
    1960 Daimler Ferret     1942 Daimler Dingo

Prev: Re: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS Next: Re: GEV Tank