Prev: Re: GEV Tank Next: Re: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS

Re: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2002 09:25:22 +1100
Subject: Re: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS

At 02:28  2/03/02 -0500, you wrote:
>At 9:09 AM -0600 3/2/02, DAWGFACE47@webtv.net wrote:
>>THE BREN LMG BECAME RE CLASSIFIED AS	A GPMG WHEN IT WAS RE CHAMBERED
>>FOR 7.62MM  AND  MODIFIED TO USE A BELTED AMMO FEED!
>
>The Bren was never converted to belted/linked ammo. There were some
trials
>versions done at Enfield of such a beast. But none were ever issued.
The
>7.62 Brens that soldiered on after WWII were converted largely from old

>stock .303 brens.
>
>Also, note the Bren was a section weapon. Given a 10 man infantry
section,
>there	were 3 guys on the bren with the lance corporal over the bren
group
>and a corpral over the full 10 man section.

The differences being the barrel, no conical flash suppressor and the
magazine. Straight has opposed to curved. Did a search and found this
picture;

http://world.guns.ru/machine/mg10-e.htm

I never handled the 7.62mm Bren, although it was still in service in the

Australian Army for quite some time. Used in Vietnam and continued in
service into the 1980's, I can remember regular army units firing this
weapon on the range when I was a teenager. The last time I came across
the
Bren was when I saw some army reserve officer cadets under going weapons

instruction, but by this stage I think the Bren was almost exclusively a

training tool.

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com
URL; http://www.users.bigpond.com/derekfulton/

Prev: Re: GEV Tank Next: Re: BREN/BAR THOUGHTS