Prev: Re: GEV Tank Next: Re: TOES INTO THE DUMPER

Re: FT: FTL and Streamlining

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:04:16 -0800
Subject: Re: FT: FTL and Streamlining

Glenn M Wilson wrote:

*SNIP*

>In one off scenarios SD ships are stronger but in a multiple system
>scenario like in the books (MT? FB1?) they are incapable of moving
>between threatened systems.  An operational or even strategic draw
back.

All of these are very valid points, and ones I definitely want to take
into
consideration.	There are a couple of background-flavor specific issues
that
mitigate this.	For one thing, System Patrol Cutters will not be quite
as
specialized as System Defense Monitors.  They'll be part defense, part
law
enforcement.  Because of this, they will be a little more generalized,
and
thus need the atmospheric capability.  Maybe I'll broaden it a bit, and
allow non-streamlined ships ONLY if they also have a small craft bay.
This
doesn't balance them vs. FTL in one-offs as much as the streamlining
rule
would, but it helps.  In campaign play, it can be assumed that any FTL
raiders that start pulling hit and run too often will draw the attention
of
the FTL navy.  If a player's playing a minor power with no FTL, I will
probably relax the rule for him.

2B^2

Prev: Re: GEV Tank Next: Re: TOES INTO THE DUMPER