Prev: Re: Pushy Lawn Bug + Teeth Next: Re: IJN/UNSC technology

Re: IJN/UNSC technology

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 21:03:50 GMT
Subject: Re: IJN/UNSC technology

In message <003101c1c168$70c36e20$05067ad5@pcuser>
	  "Anthony Leibrick" <A.Leibrick@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Lurk field off
>
> Has anyone come up with weapon/technology variants to give an
> alternative flavour to the IJN/UNSC ships over the rest of the Big
> Boys? The main variant for the IJN, that I would use, would be the
> miniaturization of certain ship systems, at 1/2 mass - 3 x cost.
>
> Comments ideas?
>
> Engage field

Well, I've considered equipping the UNSC ships with 'disabling' weapons,
such as Needle Beams and EMP missiles.

My current designs (still under development) tend to put needle beams on
some designs (capitals who will [hopefully] survive to get close enough
to use them, and Patrol Cutters, who shouldn't bee in a major battle
anyway), and missile racks to carry EMP missiles.

I may well adopt some of the WDA weapons, such as Noam's Heavy Needles,
and Multi-Arc Needles.

For IJN, well, Spinal Mount Nova Cannon and Wave Guns are 'traditional',
as are missile swarms and mecha (and look at the photos on the GZG site
- a mecha!), I think the Reflex Field in More Thrust was inspired by an
Anime source as well (Space Battlecruise Yamato).
The SMNC, Wave Gun, and Reflex Field need updating to match the Fleet
Book rules, and perhaps expanded to allow different classes for
different
sized ships. All this has been discussed at length on the list before -
check the archives. Likewise, there has been intense discussion about
'Mecha Fighters' some of it very recently :-)
In fact, there was a recent list discussion about IJN ship designs in
general.

A good source for variant weapon systems is the Weapons/Defence Archive,
found on Noam's website:

http://homepage.mac.com/nizenberg/Weap-Def_Archive.htm

But I would say that, anyway :-)

I guess until FB3 (or whatever) is published, it is a case of "do as thy
will shall be the whole of the law" :-)

Charles

--

Prev: Re: Pushy Lawn Bug + Teeth Next: Re: IJN/UNSC technology