Prev: Re: small ships: escorts vs raiders Next: Re: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II -> we ended up without using them...

Re: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II -> we ended up without using them...

From: "Claus Paludan" <cpaludan@w...>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 07:26:46 GMT
Subject: Re: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II -> we ended up without using them...

Don,
well you certainly did help - the Digital Library is going to keep me
occupied for a while - lol! Very interesting stuff!!

Well, on to the testgame result:
We used a combination of the original SG rules, the Sg2->ww2 conversion
rules and my own writings. Confusing, yes, but is was as much a rules
discussion game as anything else.

I put a reduced German infantry platoon without any artillery support
whatsoever in a small forest deep in russian territory. 1 10 man squad
with
beltfed MG34, 2 7 man squads, one with a beltfed mg34 and one with
drumfed
magasine..

The poor bastards went to the wrong forest and the one radio call they
managed to get through to company hq resulted in an order to sit tight
and
wait for their friends to show up.

Alas! A russian platoon, just a bit larger than the german but only with

mag. fed lmg was ordered to clear them from the forest to make way for
some
russian artillery on its way to the area.

My plan was to set up the three squads in position in the forest and
then
detach the mg's if need be, but somehow I forgot my plan and the mg's
stayed
with their squads. We were in a defensive position and I didn't need all
the
actions for moving around. We used the SG2-WW2 conversion rule with d4
for
amor and 1fp/d10 for rifles, fp d6/d8(mag/belt)-d8/d10 for lmgs. The
amor
value of a d4 makes firing a bit more lethal, but not too destructive
(well
not until the russian platoon hq called their two mortar firemissions -
THAT
HURT!).

The russians had a hard time getting near my germans, the mg's and
rifles
putting a lot of suppression on them all. It was first when the first
mortar
shells began to land that he managed to break me. I had moved to squads
close to each other and the first round hit right on target (one beltfed

mg34), the deviation roll was made and the second round
hit................
ON TOP OF THE OTHER BELTFED MG34. Lucky russian strike... The 10 man
squad
was reduced to 4 men and the 7 man squad was reduced to 3. Never have I
seen
so bad amor rolls :-)

As time ran out we stopped the game, but with to full russian squads I
fairly judged the russians as winners!

Conclusion:
1) Fireteams wasn't used - no lessons learned there :-(
2) Mortars are devastating when you have no body amor at all.
3) Rifles/mgs are equally deadly due to the lack of amor.

What comes next:
1) We will define what nations actually separated their mgs from the
squad
from those who didn't
2) Artillery (primarily mortars) will have to be defined by nations as
well.
3) Radio communication will also be defined both by nation and
difficulty
(it was a bit too easy to call down the mortar fire)
4) General distinction between the nations and the way they fought.

I think that was about it - but sadly no further input on the
fireteams...
 ---
Med venlig hilsen
Claus Paludan

E-mail [privat] : cpaludan@worldonline.dk
W-site [privat] : http://www.krigsspil.dk
Tlf.nr. [privat] : +45 36309581
ICQ Nr [privat] : 15328534 ( http://www.icq.com )

Prev: Re: small ships: escorts vs raiders Next: Re: FIRE TEAMS IN SG II -> we ended up without using them...