Prev: Re: [OT] Badgers Next: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 07:58:34 +0100
Subject: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Books" <books@jumpspace.net>
> Let's see if I can  work my way through this.
>
> 1.  I know the absolute locations of 3 pulsars (A B C).
>
> 2.  Knowing two (A B) and their angles to my ship I know my
>     location on the surface of circle.
>
> 3.  Pick another pair (B C).	I get another circle.

Intersecting these two circles will give you two points where you could
be

> 4.  Pick the remaining pair (A C).  Yet another circle.
>
> 5.  Intersect the three circles.  I now know where I
>     am.

The third circle is redundant. Its intersections with with circle 1 and
2
will be at the same points as the intersectoins between 1 and 2.

In practice, the 2 points will usually be far enough apart to easily
choose
between the two. But there will be cases where you will need all 4
pulsars.

Greetings

Prev: Re: [OT] Badgers Next: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy