Prev: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy Next: [OT] Badgers

Re: [FT] A Modest Rate of Fire Proposal

From: Kevin Walker <sage@c...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:42:19 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] A Modest Rate of Fire Proposal

On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 02:13 AM, Michael Llaneza wrote:

> 1. All beam batteries fire every n turns, where n is the class of the
> beam weapon.
> 2. Pulse torps fire every third turn
> 3. Multiply total damage by the class of the beam, or PTorps by 3.
> 4. Do not adjust damage capacity of ships, armor or shields.
> 5. Thripple the reload time for fighters.
> 7. Respect cool-looking typos.
> 8. Missile ROFs do not change, although I still like my Individual
> Missile Launcher (first posted under a different name some time ago)
in
> place of SMLs for this variant.
>
> A. This adds more tactical considerations, such as "fire now at long
> range, or risk losing weapons before closing next turn".
> B. Ships go boom.
> C. High-thrust ships with class-1 beams become really vicious in
vector
> knife fights.

This will make initiative a lot more important at closer ranges.  Also
limited weapon arcs will become more effective as some of the amount of
time spent turning (in cinematic) is down time anyway for the weapons.
I suspect this would provide further incentive for fleets to engage head

on to make sure they can fire simultaneous or first with their weapons
at reasonable to best ranges and to make sure they're in arc...any fleet

that doesn't will be down significant strength.  This will also further
widen the little ship vs. big ship problem.  Interesting proposal...one
I'd use only to represent a particular sci-fi setting.

Kevin Walker

Prev: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy Next: [OT] Badgers