Prev: Re: Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic) Next: Re: Space Nav

FW: [FullThrust] Low thrust small ship designs

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:10:59 EST
Subject: FW: [FullThrust] Low thrust small ship designs

Bringing this to a list near you <grin>.

From: "triphibious" <triphibious@juno.com>
To: FullThrust@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FullThrust] Low thrust small ship designs
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 20:00:24 -0000

Been thinking about a post on the gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu list
concerning "...low thrust small ships..." and how to deploy them.

Laserlight posted his excellant ash Shaulah strike craft:
(in summary)
Mass 8
FTL mass 1 (.8 rounded up)
Main Drive 6 (2.4 rounded to 2 mass; amazingly a drive four is 1.6
rounded to 2 also so there is no saving mass for a slower ship)
1 FCS mass 1
4 mass weaponry (B3/1 arc, 2 NB, SMR 2 x MTM or submunitions x 4.

I am assuming that the original poster was interested in convoy
escorts (but maybe not) because the post read, in part, "...If escort
ships are kept close to the things they are escorting, then they
don't need such big drives..." and most non-combat ships seem to run
about main drive 2, only requiring a MD of 4 if you are thinking a SF
equivalent to the WW2 armed trawler/sloop/corvette.

So I took Laserlight's model and tried it out in designing even
smaller ships:

"Peony" Class Escort:

Mass 6
FTL mass 1 (.6 rounded up)
MD 4 mass 1 (1.2 rounded down)
FCS 1 mass 1
3 mass weaponry:
some possibilities - B2/6 arcs, Submunitions x 3, B1 x 3, MTM and
PDS, NB and B1, or B2/3 Arc and PDS.  More are possible (such as
armor) but I stopped there.

"Desperate" class gunboat:

Mass 4
FTL mass 1 (minimum)
MD 4 mass 1 (.8 rounded up)
FCS 1 mass 1
Weapon mass 1:

B1 or Submunitions pack.  In a strictly defensive role I guess you
could put some 'armed' with a PDS if you expected them to act as
decoys to SM's (once.)

Other then a low level convoy mission playing the role of close in
last ditch protection, what scenarios would such ships have value in?

Gracias,
Glenn

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/iZp8OC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/IMSolB/TM

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic) Next: Re: Space Nav