Prev: Re: [FT/MT/DS]: Mass vs Capacity Next: Re: [OT] Flag stomping

Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:25:20 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

--- Hal <hal@buffnet.net> wrote:
> Also, how accurate does one's position have to be
> known to establish where you are precisely?  In
other >words, if I for what ever reason, jump to some
> unknown location in space, and I find at least 2
> known pulsars - wouldn't that establish the rough
ball >park of where I was to the extent that I at
least know >which direction to jump bACK.

Hal,
      A roundabout and overly simplistic answer is;
1 point establishes a sphere that you are on the
surface of, I presume the radius can be determined.
2 points establish a line, and therefor you are on the

'surface' of a circle defined by the intersection of
the two angles to the two ends of the line.
3 points determine a plain, and only two locations
can satisify the requirements for the required angles
to the determined locations. (I.E. plus or minus
angles)
4 points are needed to determine the plain and
determine
if you are above or below the level of the plain.
5+ points are better.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: [FT/MT/DS]: Mass vs Capacity Next: Re: [OT] Flag stomping