Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW JAP SHIPS ONLINE!!!! :-) Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] NEW JAP SHIPS ONLINE!!!! :-)

RE: FTL COMMUNICATIONS

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:15:47 -0700
Subject: RE: FTL COMMUNICATIONS

I disagree on that point.  First, the data is probably a one way
communication, which means you don't need real-time storage, you can use
any reasonable type of data compression (i.e. something that only takes
a few seconds per second of message to decode, you can start the decode
and after 10-20 seconds of buffer begin to read the message).
Alternatively, if the message is large, you may have multiple
decompression start points and decompress the message in several
parallel streams with the computer reassembling them in the correct
order.

Second, memory storage will be molecular - either atomic or genetic. The
human genome is 3 billion base pairs (base 4) and the entire package to
replicate, maintain, read, copy, transcribe etc fits into a package less
than a millimeter across.  3 gigs per cubic mm is a pretty good storage
amount.  And when you consider that it's base 4, not base 2, it's really
like 12.2 terabytes based on an 8 (base 4 vs base 2) bit byte.	In a
cubic centimeter, that would be 12.2 bevabytes(?) of storage.  Plus you
get one level of redundancy since the data is paired with a
complementary strand. The atomic level storage is probably about the
same with readable atoms 12-14 angstroms apart, although I believe that
currently the atoms are only binary. Even if the maintenance systems for
the memory were the size of a suitcase it would be a trivial amount of
mass to transport.

Third, you probably don't need as much memory if you're using an AI.
You wouldn't have to program a response to every situation, I would
assume that there is some sort of base AI on the receiving system, and
all you're downloading is the "personality" part of the AI, and perhaps
the knowledge base.  Graphics, voice, and such would be dealt with at
the receiving end and their hardware.

--Binhan