Prev: Re: FTL COMMUNICATIONS Next: RE: FTL COMMUNICATIONS

Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:06:16 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

Indy schrieb:
> True. But it should not be difficult at all to determine
> this quite precisely. We already know to 1/10 ly or better the
> distances to nearby stars. Once we actually *travel* to them,
> all we have to do is turn a sensitive receiver back toward
> Earth and pick up signals. From this we can
> determine *extremely* well the distance (you know when a
> given signal was transmitted - such as, oh, a Weather Channel show
> which carries the timestamp in the program - and with calibrated time

> instruments you can determine to with lightseconds or tighter
accuracy how
> long it took the signal to reach your location, and from that, derive
the
> distance to some small number).

You have all this worked out have you ?
:-)

> > I certainly see an use for the GZG Clarke class survey
> > ships.
>
> More than K'V target practice, that is.  ;-)

Like the days when the Royal Navy mapped the seas.

Might make for a scenario: UN survey ship in uncharted space with a
light escort boldly going where no man hos gone before...OOPS, wrong
show.

Greetings

Prev: Re: FTL COMMUNICATIONS Next: RE: FTL COMMUNICATIONS