Prev: RE: FTL Comms Next: RE: Chessex

Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:26:21 +0100 (MET)
Subject: Re: Pulsar Nav accuracy

Indy schrieb:
> > Thinking about it, I doubt that this accuracy could be
> > achieved with distant objects alone.
> >
> > Problem is, we have to know the position of the objects
> > in 3 dimensions and the measurement is unlikely to be very precise.
> >
> Actually I think, given interstellar travel, we will be
> able to nail the positions of other celestial objects
> (pulsars, et al) down pretty darn accurately (okay, within
> 1/10 ly ;-). Right now we are limited (see an earlier post
> in this thread) to approx 100 parsecs for parallax
> measurements.

I guess the 100 parsecs are the range at which measurements are
possible, rather than the error in teh measures location ?

> That's using a 2 AU baseline.

Going to Pluto to do parallax measurements would certainly help :-)
Especially if you can do very-long baseline interferometry with Neptune
or Uranus as the other receiver.

> Once we start heading out to other star systems (e.g., Alpha
Centauri,
> Sirius, even Vega), our baseline is going to grow massively and we
ought
> to be able to extend the parallax measurements out pretty far. And
pretty
> accurately.

You would have to know the distance between the sun and your other star
quite accurately. Anay error there gets multiplied massively in
parallax measurements.

> but hey, that's what will keep us astronomers in business
> 200 years from now! ;-)

I certainly see an use for the GZG Clarke class survey ships.

> - about enough to know in which star's system you are.
>
> Which, for most purposes, is all you'd really need. You
> can repoint your ship and zip in closer. :-)

Well, if you are doing multiple jumps through deep space...
Probably still better than dead reckoning (depending on you PSB, of
course).

Greetings

Prev: RE: FTL Comms Next: RE: Chessex