Prev: Re: [SG][ECC] A Change of Orders Next: Re: Space Sports

Re: [OT] Flag stomping

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:59:08 EST
Subject: Re: [OT] Flag stomping

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:50:44 -0500 "Tomb" <tomb@dreammechanics.com>
writes:
>FYI:
>
>The way the CBC reported things, the US Women's Team put the Canadian
>Flag on their locker room floor in order to remind them who they were
>there to beat and who was hot on their heels. Supposedly they (out of
>respect) did not walk on it. It just occupied floorspace.
>And the Canadian comment after the Gold was a good rejoinder "The
>Americans had our flag on their dressing room floor, now I want to
>know
>if they want us to sign it?".

Bad technique on our part, would have been better on a wall...	Same
internal message with less possible misunderstanding.

>I'm sure it was all in the spirit of preparing for competition, but in
>this case it may have served to fire up the Canadian team - perhaps a
>backfire of sorts.
>
>Tomb
>
>PS - Congratulations are indeed in order to Germany, although if they
>didn't win Hockey or Curling, they really just got Consolation Prizes.
><*heh*>

All in one's PoV I expect.  So how are Canadian Baseball teams going to
do this year <grin>?

>PPS - Lots of respect for Norway for beating the Canadian Men in
>Curling
>(in the 10th end and it all came down to the last rock) and to
>Scotland
>(they call them Gr. Britain, but they were all Scottish lasses) for
>beating the Canadian Women in Curling to bring the Gold home to the
>birthplace of Curling.

Curls you hair to think of it!

>PPPS - A big raspberry to the Russians who doped and to the government
>who seems to be acting like a petulant 5-year old.... ("I'm taking my
>stuff and going home!"). If you cheat, and get caught, you should be
>turfed. End of story. It applied to Canada (Ben Johnson comes to mind)
>and it should apply to any other nation. Win fair or lose fair... I
>respect either. Cheating is beneath contempt.

Totally agreed.  I translate the IOC response as "Whatever, if you want
to not compete, that's your business... We'll still be here...	as will
the rules and the tests..."

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [SG][ECC] A Change of Orders Next: Re: Space Sports