Prev: RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy Next: Re: RE: Space Sports

Re: Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic)

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:32:14 -0800
Subject: Re: Hockey, Curling and other sports (some futuristic)

Tomb Wrote:

*SNIP* And as for it
>being shuffleboard, to quote a line from the upcoming Men With Brooms
>movie (how dreadfully Canadian), "To play this game, you need really
big
>Stones."

True, but it's still the easiest comment to reach for.	I had to dig
somehow. ;-)

>2) Hockey/Flags: We're from Canada. We don't like to see our flag
>abused, but we're not likely to start and incident over it. We don't
>have quite the same reverence for the flag here as in the USA (IMO).

Nor do you seem to have people quite as eager to burn yours.  'Tis a
blessing and a curse at the same time, the mystique we bestow on the
S&S.

>"We are able to reap the rewards of being a Common Wealth nation, in
>that the BBC covers most games involving CW countries, especially when
>there is the distinct possiblity of the boots being put to Uncle Sam.

Since they couldn't do it themselves, I can understand the Brits'
voyeurism
in wanting Canada to do it by proxy. ;-)

*snip*
>I can see an obvious cultural difference here between the people who
>appreciate some Britcoms and the crowd that watches the WWF - obviously
>the commentating styles differ accordingly...

It reminds me of an incident between Howard Cosell and Frank Gifford on
MNF
years ago (American FB, humor me a moment).  On a 4th down, the offense
chose to go for it instead of punting.	Howard Cosell commented,
"Whatever
the outcome of this play, one thing is certain:  There will be a first
down
after this play."  Meredith commented, "Once again, Howard, you display
your
uncanny grasp of the obvious."

2B^2 (A Britcom fan)

Prev: RE: [FH] FTL, astronomy Next: Re: RE: Space Sports